Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bucka bucka

I went to Physical Therapy today over the ankle that will not heal. She's giving me another month before they send me to an orthopedist for a boot. That's the first bucka bucka.

She had me do a bunch of different tests. The weirdest thing we discovered... I can't put my feet together and stand straight up. My knees won't allow it. Physical therapist says that it is something to do with my knees and hip bones and apparently there's a problem there. But it isn't the type of problem that anything can be done about. So because of this knee/hip thing I walk on the inside of my feet and that's contributing to the problem. Which is also weird since the wear pattern on my shoes does not indicate this at all. The shoes say that I walk on the outsides of my feet. AND finally my feet don't bend right. There's no flexibility there. The right foot can go to neutral (like the 90 degree angle for standing). The left one (the one with the problem) cannot. So that's what is continuing to agitate the problem and will probably cause me future problems. And at some point in the future I may need to have orthotics. Seriously, this is all very ridiculous.

So now my instructions are: No walking. Really and seriously. I have to take the bus to go to work and home. I have to not walk up hills at all. I have to do all these different exercises. One of them I have to do every 2 fucking hours! The other I have to do 3x per day and this massage thing once daily. In 3 weeks I'll go back for an evaluation. I'm hopeful... very hopeful. (Or not, I'm feeling rather grumpy about all of this). I can go back to the gym to bicycle if I would like or I can go to the pool, except it is only open for lap swim from 7 - 9 AM (which doesn't work with my work schedule) and 6 - 7:30 at night (which doesn't work with my life schedule). It is open on the weekends too so I think I'm definitely going to start going on the weekends if nothing else. I have to do some exercise!

4 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

Sorry there's so much bad news, Jo.

Peeved Michelle said...

So, what happens when you put your feet together, you fall over?

Do you think this is all from the back thing in college?

Unknown said...

I told you to ride the bus to work.

Joanne said...

Yes yes. You were right Matthew. Fine just be right and smug and all that!

Michelle, I don't fall over exactly, although if you were to look at my bare feet when I do it, you can see them all scrunched up trying to hold my balance. And I can't stand up straight, like my ass has to jut out or my knees have to be bent... something. And I cannot put my heels together with the knees straight at all. They always open up a little bit. I don't know if it is related to my back thing. She didn't seem to think so. It's a bone growth thing. I blame my father.