Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Vaguely troubling

I'm the United Way ambassador for my department at work. I attended training yesterday to learn about how to get people to donate and all that jazz. One guy (very annoying guy actually) made some comment about the Boy Scouts being a UW charity and how some people have a problem with that given the Boy Scouts' history of discrimination. And our trainer jumped on that and that the Boy Scouts in general don't get any support but their after school program which is non discriminatory does. So I've got no issue there (and really I had no issue with them supporting the Boy Scouts. While the group as a whole is discriminatory, not all councils are. It really depends on the location). But then he goes on to talk about how Planned Parenthood used to be a UW partner charity, but isn't anymore. He said that people were concerned because PP does abortions so UW spoke to PP and PP decided to end their affiliaton with UW. And he said that UW was okay with that because this way they aren't making a political stance. I've been thinking about this since yesterday... by having the discussion and then allowing Planned Parenthood to pull their affiliation they actually ARE making a political stance. They are kowtowing to the conservatives who won't donate to UW because of the PP affiliation. Now I can fully understand this. But at the same time it really disturbs me. I contribute, but I'm now conflicted. The United Way supports the Girl Scouts and a lot of other really good charities, and I suppose I'm fairly certain that politics won't affect most of their partner charities, but at the same time one can't help but wonder if they will.

4 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

They will.

... said...

And the Girl Scouts and probably several of the other charities are of religious affiliation, therefore making them political in a sense as well.

I lately have had a hard time finding a charity I can give to without in turn supporting their religious or political views. While I want to do good, I also don't want to push anyone else's politics or religious beliefs on those that might need charity.

Kate the Peon said...

I do not support the Boy Scouts for precisely that reason.

... said...

I don't support the Boy Scouts for the same reason but unfortunately, my neighbor's kids are Boy Scouts and they came over a couple of days ago selling popcorn...they were too cute and I was the first order...oh well.