Wednesday, October 05, 2005

What is wrong with this picture??



I had a wholly other post rattling around in my head about something else that bothers me, but as I was flitting through some photographs in the PI I came across this photo. If I were to see this pic in National Geographic I would've assumed this was a starving woman in some 3rd world country. Her head has that giant look like you see on the ads on TV for Christian Children's Fund. Her forearms couldn't be bigger around than a dixie cup. How does she hold up that gigantic cranium? She honestly, to me at least, looks as though she is sick and pretty close to dying. She isn't. She's a model on the Paris runway this year. Holy sweet fuck! How is this an approximation of beauty? I don't even know what else to say. I'm speechless in my horror at this...

I should give credit to the photo. I came across it in the Seattle PI. It is an AP photo by Michel Euler.

3 comments:

... said...

What is scary is that teenage girls use this as a role model for what they should achieve fitness-wise.

I was anorexic when I was a teenager and while I don't blame all of it on societal issues, I do think that the influence is there for young people at times.

I think she looks like a cancer patient with those dead eyes too.

Kate the Peon said...

Was it a Halloween fashion show? No? Crap.

Kate the Peon said...

Unrelated - my library now has Weaveworld on order for me!