Saturday, October 15, 2005

Several things rattling around in my head...

Holiday
Right now is the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. It is a joyous holiday celebrating the harvest and it also commemorates the 40 year period when the children of Israel were wandering the desert and living in temporary shelters. One of the ways they celebrate Sukkot is by building a sukkah. They are these temporary shelters that those who are celebrating Sukkot live in during the holiday (although live in from what I understand is a fairly loose interpretation... those who are unable to do not live in them, but may take meals in them). Why do I bring up this lesson in Jewish holidays? Because every year the retirement community I walk past encloses their patio and put tree boughs on the top for the roof for those residents who celebrate Sukkot. I find that so incredibly cool. And I was reminded me again of this a couple of days ago when lo and behold the temporary walls were back up.

Volunteer
Last night was the first day of the big gay film festival Matty works for. Due to a program snafu, he needed a volunteer or 2 to hand out postcards for one of the sponsors. I volunteered and dragged along RBT (formerly virgin gay, he still is those things but we've bonded now so I need a better nickname.). We had a really good time. We went to dinner first at the mall. Then went to volunteer. He's funny and we talked a lot of smack about people. :) While I was passing out my postcards, the guy whose film I worked on said hello and remembered who I was by name. Freaked me out a little bit. I now have several free tickets for the festival and I might actually use them. :) I offered some to RBT but he declined. Although I think I may bring it up again to him and see if there are any he wants to see. While we were leaving the Cinerama the weather was just chilly but nothing wild. We stopped into Cold Stone Creamery for some ice cream for me. It only took maybe 7 minutes. When we walked out it was POURING. So we sat under an awning and chatted. Caught the bus up to QFC and parted ways. It was a good time though. :)

Donation
I got a card in the mail yesterday from America's Second Harvest. It was thanking me for an additional donation I just recently did to them. Currently they are hitting up my bank account for a fixed amount of money every month, but in the wake of Katrina, I knew they were sending down food and supplies so I donated more. It was a nice touch, a card.

Food
I know it would make me sick, but sometimes the new Burger King meat sandwich sounds really good.

Shopping
I have to go on another field trip to buy new jeans. I'm just going to go around here. Hopefully I can find something I don't hate at Ross. (ew Ross, but they're cheap). RBT and I were discussing shoes yesterday and he said something about me earning enough money to buy a pair of Prada shoes if I wanted. He surmised they'd cost about $350.00. I said I guess, but I'd have to save for several months to do it. And he seemed shocked by that. Of course even if I did earn the kind of money to buy fancy shoes, I wouldn't. $350 is just too much for shoes to me. I balked at the over $100 I paid for my Danskos that I love.

VH1
When did VH1 start playing all this R&B and Hip Hop? I've spent the last 1/2 hour with the channel on mute because I didn't like the song they were playing. (Which is a sure sign I'm an old lady!) :)

2 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

The BK meat sandwich grosses me out.

SJ said...

That reminds me of that movie I saw about the black Children of Isreal. It was called "I'm Gonna Get You Sukkah"