Sunday, October 30, 2005

Yesterday, a recap

Yesterday was my first day volunteering at the Pacific Science Center's Halloween Extravaganza. I think their official title is Tricks & Treats & Science Feats. With only one exception, I was the oldest one there... by a lot! They were mostly high school and college kids fulfilling their service learning requirements for their various groups. Not that it would've effected me since I was a Girl Scout leader in high school, but damn I'm glad they didn't have these requirements when I went. Of course in Arizona, it still may not be a requirement. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't. I had fun, though, like I always do. There were 3 craft stations and 3 treat stations. The craft stations were much more fun than the treat stations. I think my favorite craft was the thermotrope, which is one of those pictures that trick your eyes. You put part of the picture on one side and part on the other and then put it on a stick. If you spin it around it looks like the 2 pics are joined. It is pretty cool. We were also making masks and bloody finger boxes. I've discovered there are 2 different schools of thought with regards to the crafts. I say let the kids cut out their own stuff, a lot of others have pre-cut supplies out. Hell that's half the project. I wandered around the Who done it? Exhibit. That one's very cool, the kids are trying to solve a robbery and murder. There's fingerprinting and DNA and exhibits about bones and facial reconstruction. It's all very interesting. I'm excited to go back today.

No comments: