Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Stupid Gluten Intolerance

Okay so I know that I'm griping about the wrong thing here and there are plenty of people who would love to work with such considerate people, but I hate drawing attention to myself. For some reason munchies are a big deal at all these little events we have within HR... birthdays, anniversaries (how long you've been with SU not wedding) and the like. So whenever one of these things comes up, we do a little card and a little treat, here's where stupid gluten intolerance comes in. Typically they just buy little samplings from Starbucks. I'm fine with that honestly. I don't feel this random need for pastry in the middle of the day and at this point, there is very little that I look at and go OMG I must have that! So in order to accommodate my needs, they will buy some other off the wall thing and here is where I take issue. I don't like to have a big deal made about me. I would so much prefer if they would just forget and let me pass on snacks. I get it though, they would feel bad eating in front of me, but at the same time I always feel so weird when they find something acceptable for me... (let me stress this is usually something random... like today my boss had the idea of an ice cream bar) Ugh. I'm probably arguing the wrong issue and I realize I should be thrilled that they go out of their way to accommodate my needs.. but you know how I am. (neurotic) :| I must say that it is infintely better than when I am with people who offer me something I can't eat and when I decline suddenly say "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I forgot" and apologize and go on and on and on. I have no problems declining what I can't eat. I don't expect random people (and in some respects I consider coworkers random people although this is a fairly small team) to remember my dietary needs.

On a related note, I hate it when I'm stressed out (as I have been lately although much better thanks) and my arms break out in big blisters. Like the pills are doing nothing.

No comments: