Monday, January 17, 2005

No marching & other tidbits

Fuck, I'm so stupid. I had a whole huge post, that Blogger ate. I was even smart and copied it, but I figured I'd repost it right away so I didn't paste it onto like a word document. And while I was waiting to republish to see if Blogger didn't actually eat it, (which was why there were 3 posts this morning about Hauntings & MLK Jr day) I copied a weblink and eradicated the whole post that I had so thoughtfully copied. Sigh. To attempt to recreate:

I called all the Brownie moms this morning to find out if they still wanted to march given the rain. It isn't pounding but it is steady and wet Brownies aren't that fun. One girl is sick, one mom is too sick. Two girls didn't want to do it, and on and on. Hence, the Brownies aren't marching today. One mom said that if the rest of the group was going to she would make her daughter, but I just didn't want to do that. It isn't too terribly far, the march. From Garfield High School, up the 23rd to Yesler and then down Yesler and hooking around to the Courthouse on 4th (for those in the Seattle area for whom this would make sense). I think one of the moms told me last year that it is about 2 miles. It is a slow walk, though because you are part of this ginormous group. It is really cool, though. Last year we came to the top of a hill on Yesler and looked down and all we could see was this river of people in the lane. We'll probably do it next year.

While I was looking at the Brownie registration forms for phone numbers, I discovered the most alarming thing. (Ok those of you with kids, are probably thinking, Joanne you are a fruit loop, but this was alarming to me). One of my Brownies was born in 1998. NINETEEN NINETY EIGHT! How is this even possible? I remember 1998. That was only last year, right? RIGHT? Gah! In 1998, I was 2 years out of college. I was living in rural Indiana with Satan and my niece and nephew. In 1998 I fled rural Indiana and moved back to Arizona. In 1998 I taught school That wasn't that long ago right? RIGHT? I had a similar reaction when I received a pic of my niece from my mom. My niece is 14 and a half. When did this happen? Where was I? In 1998, she was only 7. Shouldn't she still be only 7??

Final thought, lately I have been too hot! HOT!! My apartment feels like a furnace. I have a window partly open. Mostly because I can't sleep with it shut. I need the fresh air. I have turned down my radiator in the living room, but I don't think that it does anything to the other hot pipes in the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. Those are still pouring out heat. I am actually not 100% sure the radiator in the living room does anything anyway. It never felt like there was heat coming out of it, of course the hugeass pile of recycling in the way of it could be part of the problem. :)

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I so want to be at home and not working today. I can feel it. This is the year that I am going to burn out. How can that be? I am only 30.

Stephen said...

I really wanted to walk in the MLK march, myself. But I my head cold came on pretty strong Sunday evening :(

So sorry you couldn't make it, either.

Who is Satan? Did he drive a red Gremlin?

I think 1998 was like... the year I was... uhhh... wait they blurred together.

Note to self: blog daily about totally meaningless things [like being sick] so that I know what I did today, 6 years from now :)